Monday, June 20, 2011

A Nice Surprise at Hudson Mills


Gomphus fraternus.


On Saturday, Adrienne and I did some collecting at Hudson Mills Metropark, which lies N of Dexter, along the Huron River. There are some nice stretches of cobbles and gravelly substrates there, and it's a great place for lots of riverine Odes. It has been a few years since I collected there in June, and there werev lots of teneral Argia in the vegetation, as well as a few mature specimens of Argia apicalis. I collected a female Hetaerina americana from the small stream that feeds into the Huron River -- a perfect place for Calopteryx maculata, which is abundant there, with plenty of overhanging grasses for perches. In the river, there were lots of Enallagma exsulans flying in tandem and perched on pickerelweed.

I caught what I think is a female Gomphus exilis feeding on a teneral Argia. The damselfly was nearly as long as the gomphid. A while later, while standing in a wet meadow, I looked up and saw a large ode hurtling towards me and I quickly brought my net up and captured a Macromia illinoiensis. I thought that was the nice find of the day until I caught a male Gomphus fraternus that was perched on the top of a small maple overlooing the Huron. I was standing above him on the boardwalk that crosses under North Territorial Road. It was not until I looked at the MOS database that I realized that we had no records of the Midland Clubtail from the Huron River in Washtenaw Co. Previously, I had caught the species along the Raisin River at Sharon Mill.

Macromia illinoiensis



I know I preach a lot about going to a place repeatedly, and this goes to show that it pays off.

No comments: